[D2lnews] Why D2L was down for so long Sun-Mon

For those who are interested, here's what happend Sunday:

"DoIT had a scheduled outage Sunday, August 8th from 4:00a-Noon for
almost all campus [Madison] systems for a required upgrade to our three
main Enterprise Storage Arrays. As you may have noticed, service for
most systems was not restored in this timeframe. We encountered a
serious failure of the first array when attempting to restart it
following the upgrade.  The source of the failure (a disk failure
inside the array) was extremely difficult to diagnose even with
substantial engineering assistance from our vendor throughout the day
Sunday.  Once it was properly diagnosed, the manual repair to that
array was not completed until 6:50a, Monday (8/9) morning.

While that repair was being made, the other two arrays were
successfully upgraded. When the failed array was repaired we were able
to bring all systems back on-line sequentially.  D2L was back up by
10:00a."

AnnMarie

=====
Dr. AnnMarie Johnson
Instructional Developer, Blackboard/D2L campus administrator
UW Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd Polk Library
Oshkosh WI 54901
920-424-2210