[D2lnews] Where's my content???

I've heard this question from a number of you lately. Here's the answer
again:

If you transferred materials from Blackboard and/or taught a course
last semester, your content will not appear in the course for this
fall. Fall courses are the ones listed under the 2004c Fall/Interim
semester. Past courses are under the appropriate semester. Transferred
courses, or other courses for the future that were manually created,
are listed under Non-Integrated Courses.

Why?

Because now that we are integrated with TitanWeb, coursesites are
created automatically under the appropriate semester. IE, next spring,
you'll use courses listed under 2005a Spring/Interim, then 2005b
Summer, etc.

The system cannot copy your content automatically into new sites, but
it's fairly easy for you to do so. Just do the following in the Fall
2004 course:

Choose Edit Course (upper right)
Choose Components (nav bar, near the middle)
In the second area, Copy Course Components, select the old site from
the list of courses. You will be looking for a course with five numbers
in the parentheses, usually (00000). The courses with the really long
code are integrated courses. In the future, you will select one of
these to copy materials. Within the code is a designation for the given
semester. Don't worry, I'll keep a list and let you know how to
determine this in the future.
Underneath the selection box, click the checkbox in front of "Select
All." (Unless you want to copy only specific materials; if you want
content, make sure you also select course files AND content.)**
At the bottom of the page, click the Copy button.
After the confirmation page appears, return to your course with the
link in the upper right.

Voila! Your content is in your Fall course! You will need to do this
process for all courses, every semester if you want to reuse content,
or any other parts of your course.

** The following items cannot currently be copied. These are NOT
relevant to courses that were imported from Blackboard. Schedule
(calendar), Frequently Asked Questions, Glossary, Navigation Bar
Settings, some properties of dropboxes (preserving the original order
of the dropbox folders and the option to "Add Event to Calendar"), some
properties of content items (release conditions and the option to hide
a content item), any "Quick Links" pointing to content items (they link
to the former course; contact me for assistance in fixing these). With
the exception of the last one, you will need to recreate these items if
you have been using them. D2L is aware of the frustration involved here
and is working at improving the copy tool.

If you have questions, just let me know!
AnnMarie

=====
Dr. AnnMarie Johnson
Instructional Developer, Blackboard/D2L campus administrator
UW Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd Polk Library
Oshkosh WI 54901
920-424-2210