[D2lnews] Scholarship of Teaching/Learning with Technology--retaining diverse audiences

Interested in attracting and retaining culturally diverse audiences in
your online courses? Join in the next SOTLT event from UW Extension.

To participate in this event, please go to www.uwex.edu/twt Space is
limited! (If you are interested in car pooling, please let me know. I
already have at least one person interested! I will be going to the
Green Bay site, although I have to leave by 3.)

Please join us on April 22, 2005 for a Day of Learning.  This event
focuses on attracting and retaining diverse audiences in online
learning. The entire Day of Learning and subsequent online discussion
is available to participants at no cost.  Refreshments and lunch will
be provided for those attending both the morning and afternoon sessions
on April 22.

Part One:
When:  April 22, 2005, 9:30 a.m. - Noon
Where:  Sites are UW-Eau Claire, UW-Extension's Pyle Center, UW-Green
Bay and UW-Milwaukee.
The morning of the Day of Learning is a videoconference with Elizabeth
Barkley, who will discuss attracting and retaining culturally diverse
audiences to online learning.  Her discussion will include examples of
ethnic/racial, gender, and age/generational differences in the virtual
classroom.  Although we asked her to focus on online learning, the
presentation should be equally attractive to those who teach "on
ground."

Elizabeth is a faculty member at Foot Hills College in California, a
Carnegie Scholar, and a recipient of the Carnegie Foundation's
California Higher Education Professor of the Year award.  She will also
be facilitating a workshop for the UW System Office of Professional and
Instructional Development's (OPID) Faculty College this year.

Part Two:
When:  April 22, 2005, 1:00 - 3:30 p.m.
Where:  Same four sites as above
During the afternoon of the Day of Learning, join colleagues from
throughout your region of the state for a discussion of the Scholarship
of Teaching and Learning (SoTL).  Learn what others are doing and share
what you are doing to support SoTL work.

Part Three:
When:  April 22 - May 5, 2005
Finally, after the Day of Learning, join our Virtual Community of
Scholars for a two-week online discussion with Dr. Barkley and UW
colleagues about diversity and online learning.  People who attend the
Day of Learning will all be able to participate in the D2L discussions,
which will run from April 22 through May 5, 20005.

.

Dr. AnnMarie Johnson
Instructional Developer, Blackboard/D2L campus administrator
UW Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd Polk Library
Oshkosh WI 54901
920-424-2210