[D2lnews] D2L Production Servers Back Online

D2L is up again

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Learn@UW Utility" <learnuw-utility@lists.services.wisc.edu>
Date: April 22, 2005 10:45:29 AM CDT
To: LearnUW-Announce <learnuw-announce@lists.services.wisc.edu>
Cc: David Wirth <wirth@academiccolab.org>
Subject: [Learn@UW Utility] Production Servers Back Online

Learn@UW Partners,

As you heard earlier today, we experienced some serious issues on the DoIT Platform, which hosts the Learn@UW D2L environments. Apparently, sometime before 7:00 a.m. this morning, and electrical malfunction brought down the chillers, which are responsible for maintaining a reasonable operating temperature.

As many of you are aware, servers generate a tremendous amount of heat that is a common enemy for such equipment. Without additional cooling from the chillers, serious damage can occur to the equipment.

Test and non-essential servers were brought down first to help alleviate the situation. However, it was necessary to bring down production services due to the duration of this event. We were unable to "broadcast" a message via your login pages as there is no facility to do this, as previously suggested. There is another alternative, such as using a separate login page hosted at your campus, such as provided by UW-Whitewater. We are in in the process of drafting documentation and best practices that we will share with you soon. (Aside: this may be a good topic for Monday's Site Administrator Spring Conference).

I'm happy to report that the chillers are functioning again and production Learn@UW is back up. We are running a quick sanity check to make sure that everything is working properly. We'll update you if anything is discovered.

Sorry for the inconvenience this morning and thanks for your patience during this situation.

Peter
Learn@UW Service Manager

------
Peter Mann (peter.mann@doit.wisc.edu)
DoIT (Division of Information Technology)
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1210 W. Dayton St., Madison WI 53706
(608) 265-2376
------

---
This list is used by the Learn@UW Utility for the purpose of communicating on service-related matters. Only Learn@UW Utility administrators can post to this list, so if you have a follow-up, please send it to mailto:learnuw-utility@lists.services.wisc.edu.

You are currently subscribed to learnuw-announce as: dvoracek@uwosh.edu

Nick Dvoracek                                   		dvoracek@uwosh.edu
Director of Media Services   	        		Voice: 920-424-7363
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh        	Fax:   920-424-7324
My web site: http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/handouts.htm
Media Services web site: http://idea.uwosh.edu/media_services/home.html