From: Sara Bidner <sbidner@selu.edu>
Date: Thu Mar 25, 2004  6:13:19 PM US/Central
Subject: MENC CONFERENCE--TEACHER PREP SESSIONS

Dear Colleagues:

Please find attached a copy of the Teacher Preparation Sessions, sent to me by MENC, that will be included on the 2004 MENC National Conference Program in Minneapolis.   Many of you strongly expressed the need for a forum on the 2004 Conference Program specifically for addressing issues critical to teacher education.  The MENC Conference Program Committee has responded to this request by approving the following two sessions for your participation.

On Thursday morning, April 15, there will be a two-hour SMTE Roundtable Session from 8:00 - 10:00 a.m. in the Marquette Room (Mezzanine Level) of the Minneapolis Hilton.  I particularly encourage your attendance at this forum.  It will be open to all individuals involved in teacher preparation, and will provide opportunity to find out what is happening, and NEEDS to happen, in music teacher preparation throughout the country.  This is one venue where we can brainstorm, pool our resources, and help to shape the future direction for music teacher education.

The Pre-Conference Special Focus Session on Wednesday, April 14, 1:30 - 4:30, will provide another opportunity for confronting critical issues in teacher preparation.  Jeff Kimpton will open the session with a presentation, which will be followed by break-out discussion groups, and culminating group reports and reflections.  At the 2002 Conference, an urgent need was expressed for finding solutions to align teacher preparation programs with the changing nature of K-12 schools today.  This session is designed to promote creative ways of thinking about teacher preparation, to offer models for change,  and to provide understanding of effective ways to work within music departments in higher education to bring about needed curricular changes.

I would appreciate your sending this on to your colleagues who might be interested.  We look forward to your participation in these and other events.  See you in Minneapolis!

Sara Bidner, Chair
Society for Music Teacher Education

--

Sara B. Bidner, Ph.D.                sbidner@selu.edu
Department of Teaching & Learning      voicemail: 985-549-5232