[Music Education] WSMTE at WMEA

Greetings to all members of the Wisconsin Society for Music Teacher Education!
I hope to see many of you at our annual conference meeting time.  The meeting of WSMTE will take place immediately following the Early Childhood Field Experiences Panel Session.  This panel session is designed especially for those involved in undergraduate music teacher education, and the conference program schedule was developed to enable attendance at both the panel session and the meeting.  The panel will be presented at 4 p.m., and the WSMTE meeting will begin at 4:45 p.m.  This will be followed by refreshments at 5:30 p.m.  If you have any agenda requests for the meeting, please send them by e-mail to jbond@uwsp.edu.

A double session designed with undergraduate general music methods teachers in mind will take place on Friday from 1:30 until 2:45 p.m. and 3:00 until 4 p.m.  The session was inspired by the work of an Undergraduate Curriculum Reform Committee formed several years ago by teachers who are committed to the approaches of Dalcroze, Kodaly, Orff, and Gordon, in response to research indicating a need for more emphasis on these approaches in undergraduate music teacher preparation.  The original committee has evolved into a Special Interest Group within MENC's Society for Music Teacher Education, and the double session will focus on collaboration between the four approaches, supporting the mission and goals of the SIG.    Anyone teaching general music will benefit from the presentation, but it has been planned to have special meaning for undergraduate general music methods teachers.  Presenters are Carlos Abril (Dalcroze), Wendy Valerio (Gordon), Leigh Ann Mock (Kodaly), and Judy Bond (Orff).

I look forward to seeing you at the conference!

Judy Bond, UWSP Coordinator of Music Education
715-346-2227           jbond@uwsp.edu