[Music Education] Dr. Feierabend Inservice/UWGB

Dear Education Colleagues:

I am writing to inform you of a special music education inservice on Thursday, February 23 on the UW-Green Bay campus. Dr. John Feierabend, director of music education at the University of Hartford and director of the National Center for Music and Movement in the Early Years, will give two presentations on early childhood music education. John is very dynamic and inspirational; and his content relates to all educators. Our student chapter of the National Association of Music Education (CMENC) is sponsoring the event, so there is no registration fee. We ask that you please forward this letter to educators you feel would be interested in this event. We also ask that participants contact me or our CMENC President by 4:00 pm Tuesday, February 21 for an approximate count.

Additional information and the schedule for the day:

Presenter: John M. Feierabend, Ph.D.

Location: University of Wisconsin Campus- Weidner Center

9:30 AM - 11:30 AM  "Endangered Musical Minds" (This session will provide critical information and considerations on how the musical mind develops during the first years and discuss what we can do to maximize musical potential.)

11:30 - 12:30  LUNCH BREAK, free snacks provided by UWGB's CMENC Chapter

12:30 PM - 2:30 PM  "First Steps in Music: Developing Tuneful, Beatful and Artful Children" (This workshop will provide a bridge from research to practice by demonstrating how a "natural" curriculum can develop children's musical intelligence, singing and movement skills, and expressive sensitivities.)

We look forward to seeing you; and if you have any questions, please contact me or our CMENC President Stefanie Kircher (kircse@uwgb.edu).

Sincerely,

Mark T. Kiehn, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Education and Music
Faculty Advisor for CMENC
Professional and Graduate Programs in Education
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
kiehnm@uwgb.edu (e-mail)
920.465.2057 (office phone)