[WSMTE] REMINDER: WSMTE Friday

Dear Wisconsin Music Teacher Educators,

This Friday, February 23rd, we will meet UWSP.  Our meeting will be held in Room 201 of the Noel Fine Arts Center, from 10 a.m. until around 2 p.m.  Metered parking is available in Lot X.  The easiest way to get there is to take the exit for Highway 66 from Interstate 39/51.  A map showing how to get from Lot X to the Fine Arts Center can be found on the UWSP website: www.uwsp.edu.

The major agenda item for this meeting will be to develop a plan to offer a series of courses aimed at providing recent Wisconsin music education graduates with information, materials, and pedagogy in areas they may have missed during their undergraduate preparation.  For example, not all colleges and universities are able to address every aspect of music education with equal emphasis.  Perhaps graduates from a given school have very little or no opportunity to study early childhood music, or marching band, or show choir, or vocal jazz, etc.  Members of the WSMTE have collected information about these needs in the past.  Now it is time to take action.  If you are NOT able to attend this meeting, please respond with your request for consideration of any course or workshop that graduates of your university or college may need.  The next step will be to identify teachers for the courses and/or workshops perceived as most important.  It is our hope that these courses can be offered at the Wisconsin Center for Music Education.  Your comments and questions about this plan are invited.

Also on the agenda: 1) Issues with supervision of student teachers, 2) Developing a data collection system for on-going job placement analysis (this is part of the WMEA Strategic Plan), and 3) Information about the up-coming SMTE Symposium: COLLABORATIVE ACTION FOR CHANGE, to be held September 13-15, 2007 in Greensboro, NC.

Thanks to those who responded to the earlier announcement about this meeting.  If you did so, I have your message and further response is not necessary unless your plans have changed.  I look forward to meeting with you Friday.

Judy Bond, Chair, Wisconsin Society for Music Teacher Education