Re: [WSMTE] another question: please respond

Hi Judy,

I think that this is a great idea, I wonder if it might work to offer a
workshop in conjunction with the conference when a larger number of
college students will be congregated.  The workshop could be either a
Saturday morning offering or, perhaps, a Thursday/Friday evening offering
(though that interferes with concerts).

I agree that the areas of marching band, vocal jazz, show choir, and early
childhood music are all areas that could use enrichment.  When we survey
eduction students at UWRF in general (not just music ed), there is always
much anxiety expressed about classroom management, so that might be
another area to consider.

Sorry to not get this response to you before the meeting,
Hilree

> Dear Colleagues in Higher Education:
>

> The Professional Development Committee of WMEA is considering a series
> of workshops we might offer at the Wisconsin Center for Music Education
> for undergraduate music education majors.  We're aware that students may
> sometimes need to "fill in the gaps" in areas that are missing from the
> curriculum at their college or university.  For example, at UWSP the
> instrumental students have very little opportunity to prepare for
> teaching marching band, and the choral students are lacking experience
> with vocal jazz and show choir.  The PD Committee would like to assemble
> a list of potential workshops to fill these and other needs.  We need
> your input before the discussion goes any further.  I hope you will
> answer this e-mail immediately, because we are meeting tomorrow,
> Saturday, November 10th.  What do you think? 1) Is this a good idea?  2)
> If so, what workshops would fill a need for your students?
>

> Thanks for your input!
>

> Judy Bond, Professional Development Committee

> The Wisconsin Music Teacher Education Discussion List is an unmoderated
> forum for announcements and discussion. List members may post to the
> entire list by addressing email messages to
> musiceducation@lists.uwosh.edu. Use your email program's REPLY TO ALL
> function to send a reply to everyone on the list. Or, you may respond only
> to the sender of this message using your email program's REPLY function.
> Subscribe/unsubscribe requests and other communication regarding the list
> may be addressed to the list owner: musiceducation-owner@lists.uwosh.edu.

Hilree J. Hamilton, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of Music Education
University of Wisconsin-River Falls