I hope you are staying warm this wind-chilled weekend! I am looking forward to seeing you on Saturday, February 16. We will be meeting in the Richard and Nancy Wolf Resource Center at the Wisconsin Center for Music Education in Waunakee. I have scheduled the meeting from 10 until 2 -- we may not need all of that time but I wanted to make sure that we would have enough time to begin a discussion related to the questions that evolved from our last meeting and to discuss the add-on 'elementary' certification. Please let me know if you have additional items of discussion for our group.
1. Welcome (Ken, you are so good at leading us in song -- perhaps you can do this? :-)
2. WSMTE speaker and meeting during WMEA Conference in Oct. - please bring all of your ideas!
3. Add-on license for PI3 teachers who need to add an elementary component (see attached 'talking' document)
4. Continued discussion regarding 21st Century Skills and the 'place' of music within discussions taking place
on the state level. At the core of this I think a very powerful conversation for us to have would be regarding
how we are teaching our music education students about advocacy for public school music, especially
in light of the uses of music in a utilitarian way (for example, to increase test scores in other subject areas)
and for aesthetic purposes (for example, to enrich the human experience through music)
5. Other: please send me other issues that you think we need to discuss and I will update our agenda to
reflect those topics.
If it sounds OK with all of you, we will continue our discussions through lunch-- I plan to bring a couple or three super large pizzas from Sam's Club, salad, and bottled water. I am so sorry that some of you will not be able to attend on Saturday but as you know, it is hard to find a time that meets the needs of everyone. Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to schedule a time for every single one of you!
In order to plan for lunch, please confirm that you are able to attend our meeting. If you are unable to attend, please send me your input for our agenda items and I will make sure your voice is heard.
Have a great work-week and I can't wait for us to discuss issues of music teacher education in our state.
Best regards always,
Dr. Vanissa B. Murphy, Chair
Wisconsin Society for Music Teacher Education
Professor, Music and Theatre Arts
Coordinator, Music Education Division
Dept. of Music and Theatre Arts
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire