I had originally said that  I would be there Saturday and had encouraged Waunakee as the sight, but cannot make the meeting now.   I, too, will be very interested in your discussion, but I must attend the funeral of one of my predecessors here at UW-Platteville during that time.  I wish you all the best.

    Sincerely,

        Greg Dennis

On 2/11/08 9:18 AM, "Pontious, Melvin   DPI" <Melvin.Pontious@dpi.wi.gov> wrote:

Thanks, Vanissa!

I'll be there.  I'm especially interested in the 21st Skills discussion.  These are  most readily developed in the arts, and this is an area that I feel will enhance achievement in the arts as well as in other areas of the curriculum; prepare students for the adult world; and solidify the position of the arts in the curriculum.

Mel Pontious, Ed.D
State Fine Arts Consultant
PO Box 7841
Madison, WI 53707-7841
608/267-5042
FAX 608/266-1965
melvin.pontious@dpi.state.wi.us

-----Original Message-----
From:  musiceducation-bounces@lists.uwosh.edu  [mailto:musiceducation-bounces@lists.uwosh.edu] On Behalf Of Murphy,  Vanissa B.
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:40 PM
To: WI  Society for Music Teacher Education List
Subject: Re: [WSMTE]  February Meeting

Greeting,  everyone!

I hope you are staying warm this wind-chilled weekend! I am looking  forward to seeing you on Saturday, February 16. We will be meeting in  the Richard and Nancy Wolf Resource Center at the Wisconsin Center for Music  Education in Waunakee. I have scheduled the meeting from 10 until 2 -- we may  not need all of that time but I wanted to make sure that we would have enough  time to begin a discussion related to the questions that evolved from our last  meeting and to discuss the add-on 'elementary'  certification. Please let  me know if you have additional items of discussion for our  group.

Agenda:

1. Welcome  (Ken, you are so good at leading us in song -- perhaps you can do this?   :-)

2. WSMTE  speaker and meeting during WMEA Conference in Oct. - please bring all of your  ideas!

3. Add-on  license for PI3 teachers who need to add an elementary component (see attached  'talking' document)

4.  Continued discussion regarding 21st Century Skills and the 'place' of music  within discussions taking place

    on the state level. At the  core of this I think a very powerful conversation for us to have would be  regarding

    how we are teaching our  music education students about advocacy for public school music,  especially

    in light of the uses of  music in a utilitarian way (for example, to increase test scores in other  subject areas)

    and for aesthetic purposes  (for example, to enrich the human experience through music)

5.   Other: please send me other issues that you think we need to discuss and I  will update our agenda to

    reflect those  topics.

If it sounds OK  with all of you, we will continue our discussions through lunch--  I plan  to bring a couple or three super large pizzas from Sam's Club, salad, and  bottled water. I am so sorry that some of you will not be able to attend  on Saturday but as you know, it is hard to find a time that meets the needs of  everyone. Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to schedule a  time for every single one of you!

In order to plan  for lunch, please confirm that you are able to attend our meeting. If you are  unable to attend, please send me your input for our agenda items and I will  make sure your voice is heard.

Have a great  work-week and I can't wait for us to discuss issues of music teacher education  in our state.

Best regards  always,

Vanissa

Sincerely,

Vanissa

Dr. Vanissa B. Murphy, Chair

Wisconsin Society for Music Teacher  Education

Professor, Music and Theatre  Arts

Coordinator,  Music Education Division

Dept. of Music and Theatre Arts

University of Wisconsin-Eau  Claire

The Wisconsin Music Teacher Education Discussion List is an unmoderated forum for announcements and discussion. List members may post to the entire list by addressing email messages to musiceducation@lists.uwosh.edu. Use your email program's REPLY TO ALL function to send a reply to everyone on the list. Or, you may respond only to the sender of this message using your email program's REPLY function. Subscribe/unsubscribe requests and other communication regarding the list may be addressed to the list owner: musiceducation-owner@lists.uwosh.edu.