[WSMTE] Wednesday meeting of WSMTE

Hello, everyone,

I hope you semester is going well thus far! I am looking ahead to our meeting of the Wisconsin Society for Music Teacher Education and want to get your feedback regarding our agenda for this year. We are very excited that Dr. Colleen Conway (please see her bio at http://www.colleenconway.com/) will be our guest during our meeting this year and will listen and help facilitate our conversations. I am hoping you can review the following suggested agenda and let me know if you find it viable and what topic(s) you would like to see added (or deleted).  Some of these questions are the outgrowth of last year’s meeting with Dr. Jorgensen:

                What is essential to music education training?

                What do we see for the future as we consider 21st century skills?  -- What does our teaching look like? How do we make

                                learning meaningful to the 21st century student (are students of the "Millennial Generation", those born during 1983                         to 2003, different learners than the previous generation?—I have some fascinating info on this)

                Do students want/need to learn what we want to teach them?

                How can we best mentor our student teachers?

                How do we stay revitalized in our professional life (how do we avoid burnout?)

Also, in our February meeting we discussed add-on certification in general, and adding the elementary certification in particular. We began some course offerings this past summer in this area through our Wisconsin Center for Music Education and, for those of you interested in continuing this conversation, we could make this our last agenda item during our meeting.

Let me know what you think about the agenda and also if you are planning to come (there will be food and great conversation!)! I sincerely hope to see you on the 29th!

Thanks so much,

Vanissa

Vanissa B. Murphy

Ph.D., Music Education

Coordinator, Division of Music Education

Professor, Department of Music & Theatre Arts

Haas Fine Arts 227, UW-Eau Claire

Phone: 715-836-2329

Email: murphyvb@uwec.edu