[WSMTE] Wednesday meeting of WSMTE

Hello, everyone,

Thanks for your responses and I am SO looking forward to seeing you at our meeting of the Wisconsin Society for Music Teacher Education. For those of you new to our organization, we are a part of the national organization, The Society for Music Teacher Education, which was founded in 1982 and is open to those members of MENC: The National Association for Music Education with a particular interest in music teacher education. Our agenda will consist of conversations centered around some or all of the following questions:

                What is essential to music education training as we consider 21st century skills?

                What does our teaching look like? How do we make learning meaningful to the 21st century student? Are students of                            the "Millennial Generation", those born during 1983 to 2003, different learners than the previous generation? (I                                   have some fascinating info on this)

                How can we best mentor our student teachers (our expert guest, Dr. Colleen Conway can especially help us here!)?

                How do we stay revitalized in our professional life?

And, as a reminder, in our February meeting we discussed add-on certification in general, and adding the elementary certification in particular. We began some course offerings this past summer in this area through our Wisconsin Center for Music Education and, for those of you interested in continuing this conversation, we will make this our last agenda item during our meeting, at which time Terri Felton will help facilitate the conversation.

Let me know if you have additional items to add to the agenda and also please verify that you are planning to come. I hope you will feel free to come to a part of the meeting if you cannot be there for all of it—we need and value all participation! The meeting will be held from 4:00 – 6:30 in Room E of the Monona Terrace. Food and drink will be provided! I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday, Oct. 29th!

Thanks so much,

Vanissa

Vanissa B. Murphy

Chair, Wisconsin Society for Music Teacher Education

Ph.D., Music Education

Coordinator, Division of Music Education

Professor, Department of Music & Theatre Arts

Haas Fine Arts 227, UW-Eau Claire

Phone: 715-836-2329

Email: murphyvb@uwec.edu