From: "Gregory Dennis" <dennisg@uwplatt.edu>
To: rtownsend@mbbc.edu, malamont@greenwood.k12.wi.us
Cc: feayshaw@uwm.edu, MURPHYVB@uwec.edu, rtownsend@mbbc.edu, musiceducation@lists.uwosh.edu
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:23:12 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: Re: [WSMTE] WSMTE

Dear University Music Educators,

     My question to all of you is, what are you doing for those public and private school teachers who
are being asked (told, if they want to keep their jobs) to teach in an area of music that they are
not certified, and "Oh, by the way, you'll need to get certified"?  Over the last eight years about 14
people from all over the state contacted me at UW-Platteville about that very issue.  These were
people who had gotten their degrees from your universities, but no one would work with them
individually to help them get their additional certification once they were out teaching, unless they
stopped teaching, and came back to school (and sometimes not even if they were willing to do
that).  One young lady who is currently teaching in Greenwood, WI (I won't mention her name)
and is instrumentally certified contacted me last spring.  She was asked to teach both instrumental
and choral and I know she is very capable.  She contacted four universities (I won't mention who
you are.) and nobody would help her including the university from which she graduated.
     Well, I'm retired now.  I started off this school year thinking I could help her, but have found it
impossible.  My replacement at UW-P is very capable, but like all first year college teachers, is
overwhelmed.  Somebody please help Marixa LaMont.  Oh, I said that I wasn't going to mention
her name.  I know that you don't get paid for working with people one on one.  It shouldn't be the
way it is, but that is the way it is.  I don't want to make Marixa the poster child for this issue and I
know that you are trying to prevent this issue for future teachers.  But for a lot of music educators
in our state, this is a serious problem, NOW.

     Most sincerely,

                  Gregory Dennis, UW-Platteville
                  Retired