Re: [WSMTE] Student teacher placement question

Laura,

At UW Oshkosh the Field Experiences Office in the College of Education has typically adhered to a 50-mile radius placement service region that I believe they have worked out in an agreement with the most closely adjacent UW Campuses.  Starting next semester they have added an additional 20 miles to the south, and northeast.  Placements in this area are assigned a university supervisor from the music faculty here.  If students desire to be placed outside the service region they must apply and pay an out-of-area fee that I believe amounts to $600.  A qualified supervisor in the area is then contracted by the Field Experiences Office.  This applies to students who apply for an urban or tribal placement as well.  There is an appeal process which goes before the Professional Education Committee, and in some cases when the student can demonstrate a personal and financial hardship that would result from remaining in the service region, the fee is waived.  In our case there is no shortage of good music cooperating teachers in the service region so if a student goes out of area it is generally because they have a compelling reason to request this, and they pay the fee.  Hope this helps.

Ken

On Oct 12, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Kenneth Liske wrote:

Hi everyone.

I am forwarding this question below from Laura Sindberg at Lawrence University.  Feel free to respond to the list (respond to all) or directly to Laura.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Laura Sindberg <laura.sindberg@lawrence.edu>
Date: October 12, 2009 4:40:00 PM CDT
Subject: Student teacher placement question

Hi Ken-

I have a question for our WSMTE colleagues, and ask if you would be kind enough to forward it through our list serve.

What are the placement policies for your campus in relation to distance? How far (miles or minutes) do you place student teachers from campus? Any extenuating circumstances that come into play?

Many thanks,
Laura

The Wisconsin Music Teacher Education Discussion List is an unmoderated forum for announcements and discussion. List members may post to the entire list by addressing email messages to musiceducation@lists.uwosh.edu. Use your email program's REPLY TO ALL function to send a reply to everyone on the list. Or, you may respond only to the sender of this message using your email program's REPLY function. To unsubscribe or control your subscription, visit the list info page: http://lists.uwosh.edu/mailman/listinfo/musiceducation.