Re: [WSMTE] Fwd: Student teaching seminar question

UW Oshkosh has 3 large group seminar meetings for all student teachers, two of which are on afternoons that require students to miss a half day of student teaching. We also require seven, evening small- group seminar meetings which are organized by the supervisors. In music, all the clinical students and student teachers meet together for this. Student teachers who have an out-of-area, on-the-job, urban, or tribal placement are required to attend the large group seminars on campus, but they attend small group seminars with their supervising teacher in whatever format the supervisor requires. Interns attend all seminars unless they are also out-of-area. International or out-of-state student teachers, of course, get to miss all but the first large-group seminar before school starts, but they are still responsible for the work related to the large-group seminar.

Ken

On Oct 14, 2009, at 2:30 PM, Holmes, Alena V wrote:

UW-Whitewater has a policy of student teaching placements within a 60 mile radius. All student teachers are required to attend Student Teaching Seminar in our department and we typically meet at least 4 times ( once a month) for 2 -2.5 hours .
Alena

Dr. Alena V. Holmes
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Assistant Professor
Coordinator of Music education
Department of Music
800 Main Street
Whitewater, WI 53190
(262)4721341
From: musiceducation-bounces@lists.uwosh.edu [musiceducation- bounces@lists.uwosh.edu] On Behalf Of James Ripley [jripley@carthage.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:13 AM
To: Rick Townsend
Cc: WI Society for Music Teacher WI Society for Music Teacher Education List; Kris Tjornehoj; Bond, Judy
Subject: Re: [WSMTE] Fwd: Student teaching seminar question

Carthage has a printed policy of student teaching placements within a 25 mile radius, which works well for most subject areas because of our suburban location. However, there are concessions made for students who may want to student teach outside of that radius if the college supervisor is willing to travel (without additional compensation).

Our student teaching seminar meets every other Monday night during the entire term. Students
with extended travel are still required to come back for seminar.

We do allow for "extended" placements for students who are looking for a particular geographic region, and we can make arrangements for supervision through a nearby university. In those cases, the student teachers adhere to the local university policy for seminars.

Jim

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Rick Townsend <rtownsend@mbbc.edu<mailto:rtownsend@mbbc.edu >> wrote: At Maranatha, all students take a semester-long, 2-credit seminar which also yields their final portfolio product. Our students travel far and wide for student teaching, so revisiting campus is not a practical idea.

Rick