[WSMTE] WSMTE Reception Reminder and MEETING AGENDA

Greetings, everyone!
I am looking forward to seeing you tonight at 4 pm (or whenever you are able to arrive!) in room R (double check -- the online schedule says "room F" but I do believe it is 'R') for our WSMTE meeting. The agenda is below.
Please notice one additional item under "New business" below.

Thank you and see you soon! I'll be rushing in right at 4 (as I imagine several of us will be). Safe travel!
Vanissa

MEETING OF THE WISCONSIN SOCIETY FOR MUSIC TEACHER EDUCATION
October 28, 2009, MONONA TERRACE, MADISON WISCONSIN
Guest Facilitator, Dr. Janet Barrett, Coordinator, Music Education, Northwestern University

AGENDA:
1. Approval of minutes from the Feb. meeting

2. Announcements:
    Website update
    Upcoming PDT training
    Upcoming conferences
    Other (please add any info that you wish to share with the group)

3. Review of our organization's structure -- first meeting
     The Wisconsin Society for Music Teacher Education was organized as a result of the work of Dr Chelcy Bowles and Dr. Judy Bond, who brought the proposal to a session for higher education music teachers during the Wisconsin Music Educators Association Conference in October, 2001. Their work had been facilitated by Dr. Ken Liske, who had created a listserv that contained contact information for music teacher educators in higher education in Wisconsin and provided a way for those faculty to be sent an invitation to this session. The session, “Creating a Statewide Forum for Issues in Music Teacher Education” was facilitated by Dr. Mark Rhodes of Bethel College in St. Paul, Minnesota. Dr. Rhodes had served as president of the Minnesota Society for Music Teacher Education and lead a discussion regarding using the Minnesota chapter as a model for a possible Wisconsin chapter of the SMTE. Following Dr. Rhoads’ presentation, the group assembled discussed the merits of organizing such a forum in Wisconsin. The enthusiastic consensus was that a Wisconsin Society for Music Teacher Education should be organized in order to bring together the music teacher educators in the state on a regular basis for the purposes of comparing the various teacher education programs across the state, for sharing strategies for complying with state requirements, and generally for getting to know one another.
        The first official meeting of the organization was held at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point on Friday, February 1, 2002. The following attendees were elected to serve as the first officers of the organization:  Chair: Judy Bond        Vice Chair: Ken Liske        Secretary/Treasurer: Charlene Goodrich

4. Dues-- do we need/want them?

5. Proposal that we change the election of officers from the spring meeting to the fall meeting and structure so that the Vice Chair becomes the Chair in the following year.

6. Nominations for officers for Vice-Chair and Secretary/Treasurer

7. Review and discussion of elementary add-on certification in light of the summer workshop.

8. Critical Issues discussion facilitated by Dr. Janet Barrett!
SMTE has identified these, among others, as critical issues in Music Education. Please bring your thoughts, questions and concerns with regard to the following:

    -Program Admission:  How are our students admitted to the music education program (assessment criteria)? Do they come into the college/university as music education majors, pre-education majors, or  ??
       -Pathways to Licensure: Do we have concerns regarding alternate licensing venue outside of the college/university purview?
    -Supporting Current Music Teacher Educators: What are we doing to keep in touch with and support initial educators from our institutions?

9. Other business: Item submitted by Mark Eichner regarding Music Therapy at UW-Parkside
    Additional:

10. Adjourn