[WSMTE] Annual Meeting, Wed. Oct 26, Hilton Madison Doty Room

Wisconsin Society for Music Teacher Education (WSMTE)

Our annual meeting will be Wednesday, October 26, 2011 in the Doty Room, 2nd floor of the Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, in conjunction with the Wisconsin State Music Conference.  (Conference information and directions are available at the conference website.)

Please attend this event with our featured guest presenter, Dr. Carlos Abril, University of Miami.  Dr. Abril's topic will be "Lifespan and Community Perspectives in Music Teacher Education."  He plans to focus on rethinking music teacher education at our colleges and universities to infuse lifespan and community perspectives in music teacher education. He will help us consider the ways our current courses and/or new courses can better prepare students to teach music in spaces beyond the school day and the school years.

Everyone with an interest in the future of music teacher education is invited to attend.  College/university students are welcome.  Please share this invitation with those you know who may want to attend, or may wish to be added to our email discussion list.

We will plan a very brief business meeting with updates on current concerns.  If you have agenda items, please share those with me (Ken Liske, liske@uwosh.edu) or the email list.  (We will need to keep our agenda short so we can maximize our time with Dr. Abril, but issues raised before/during/after the meeting can become part of our ongoing future discussion.)

Thank you to the Wisconsin music associations for support of WSMTE and providing the opportunity for us to meet at the State Music Conference!

---
Dr. Carlos Abril is associate professor and director of undergraduate music education at the University of Miami Frost School of Music. He was previously associate professor and coordinator of music education at Northwestern University Bienen School of Music. Abril’s research focuses on socio-cultural issues in music education, arts education policy, and music perception. He has published articles in Journal of Research in Music Education, International Journal of Music Education, Music Educators Journal and the Bulletin for the Council of Research in Music Education, and serves on many editorial boards. He co-edited the book, Musical Experience in Our Lives (Rowman & Littlefield) and has written chapters for other books, including The Handbook of Research in Music Learning (Oxford) and Alternative Approaches in Music Education (Rowman & Littlefield). His music arrangements and instructional materials are published by World Music Press and in the Macmillan/McGraw-Hill textbook series, Spotlight on Music. Abril received a Ph.D. in music education at Ohio State University, M.M. in performance at the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, and a B.M. in music education at the University of Miami. He is fully certified in Orff Schulwerk and has received extensive training in Dalcroze Eurhythmics. He is a former general music and choral educator in the Miami-Dade County Public Schools, where he was honored as Region V Teacher of the Year and with the Cervantes Outstanding Educator Award.